An interesting perspective on Fashion Blogging and Bloggers
from a Non-Fashion-Blogger!
Author - Gayatri from Double Expat
Earlier this year, Franca Sozzani, editor of Vogue Italia had a lot to say about fashion bloggers. While she wasn’t entirely convinced that this trend is here to stay, she acknowledged the importance of such bloggers and the fresh perspective they brought to the industry.
People like me - who write about everything but fashion - are amazed by this phenomenon which offers a gateway into someone else’s closet. Okay before I get those “speak for yourself” emails/comments, let me rephrase - Here’s why I (and presumably other bloggers) like to read fashion blogs:
- In a world so concerned about privacy, fashion bloggers post photos of themselves day after day only to be judged by people they’ve never met. That to me is pretty daring.
- A Genuine Sense of Kinship
- Except for the occasional ‘anonymous’, the fashion blogger community watches out for one of their own. Whether it’s welcoming a new blogger on board or helping someone who obviously cannot accessorize, they encourage without turning into a mutual admiration society.
- Helpful tricks and tips
- A few weeks ago, I bought a pair of yellow pants that I didn’t know what to do with, until I saw this, this and this. There’s a plethora of non-fashion bloggers who read outfit posts simply for fresh ideas on how to dress up.
- Money Saving Strategies
- This ties in with point 3. Apart from giveaways, most fashion blogs have great tips on how to recycle clothes, where you get the most bang for your buck and where all the sales are!
- Passion & Perseverance
This applies to all blogs but even more to fashion blogs. Wearing a dress 10 different ways, getting the accessories just right and then making sure someone else hasn’t done it already; all require a certain level of enthusiasm. We appreciate that!
My Favorite Indian Fashion Blogs
Style Nuggets – Oh so elegant.
Don’t Shoe Me – Captures the best of NYC.
Leia’s Delights – As glamorous as she is gorgeous.
Republic of Chic – Always teaches me something new.
The Fabulous Life of Not-so-Rich & Infamous – Makes me think beyond fashion.
If you're an Indian Fashion Blogger, we'd love for you to join our community. Join InFB